Manchester United’s Cristiano Ronaldo apologises for ‘outburst’ following cellphone incident after defeat at Everton | Soccer Information

Cristiano Ronaldo is at the center of a police investigation after appearing to knock a fan’s phone to the ground following Manchester United’s defeat at Everton.

Footage, taken by @EvertonHub, shows Ronaldo lowering his right hand towards the ground before what appears to be a phone colliding with and bouncing up off the surface, as he exited the pitch following the 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park.

Ronaldo has since apologised for the “outburst”.

The fan’s mother has claimed he was left “bruised” by the incident, which left the youngster “in complete shock”.

Speaking to the Liverpool EchoSarah Kelly said her 14-year-old son Jake Harding is autistic and “didn’t really digest what was happening” until he got home.

“He’s really upset about it, and it’s completely put him off going to the game again,” she told the paper. “This is the first football game he’s been to and this has happened.”

Jake, she said, wasn’t waving his phone in Ronaldo’s face – and it was down by the floor when the Portuguese striker moved towards it. She also shared an image of her son’s hand with the newspaper, in which it appeared red and bruised.

Merseyside Police launched an investigation on Sunday after the game and on Monday confirmed they have spoken to the family.

A statement said: “Following an incident at Goodison Park on Saturday April 9, we are working with Everton Football Club and have been in touch with the boy’s family.

“The matter is under investigation and we are gathering information. Our enquiries remain ongoing at this time.

“Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact Merseyside Police social media desk via Twitter @MerPolCC or Facebook Merseyside Police Contact center quoting reference number 22000243890

Manchester United have confirmed they are aware of the matter.

A club spokesperson said in a statement: “We are aware of an alleged incident after today’s game at Everton and the club will co-operate with any police inquiries.”

The Football Association will also speak to Ronaldo, Manchester United and Everton to seek their observations over the incident.

An FA spokesperson added: “We are aware of the incident and will be seeking observations on the matter from both clubs and the player involved.”

Ronaldo: It’s never easy to deal with emotions

Ronaldo had earlier apologised for the incident on Instagram and invited the fan to a match at Old Trafford.

He said on Instagram: “It’s never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing. We always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

“I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship”

United are aware of the footage, which was widely shared and discussed on social media following the game.

It was a bad day on the pitch for Ronaldo and Manchester United as Anthony Gordon’s first-half goal gave the hosts three points.

United, who have won just once in five Premier League games, now look unlikely to qualify for the Champions League next season.

De Gea slams Man Utd: Defeat a disgrace

Image:
David De Gea slammed Man Utd’s performance at Everton, calling it a ‘disgrace’

David de Gea described Manchester United’s defeat to relegation-threatned Everton as “a disgrace” after their season reached a new low at Goodison Park.

“It’s a disgrace from us, to be honest, we should win the game,” De Gea told BT Sport.

“We don’t create, that’s the problem. We don’t even create proper chances to score. I don’t know what to say, to be honest.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

FREE TO WATCH: Highlights from Everton’s win against Manchester United in the Premier League

“We’re not good enough, that’s for sure. It’s going to be very difficult now to be in the top four.”

United, who last played a week ago as they drew 1-1 with Leicester, were outfought by Everton despite the hosts having just two full days of recovery following Wednesday’s crushing 3-2 defeat to relegation rivals Burnley.

“We knew before they were struggling, but how difficult it is to play here even when they are not in a good mood, but they play with more desire,” he said.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Manchester United lacked creativity at Everton, says interim boss Ralf Rangnick

“They played on Wednesday, they were tired, they were a bit nervous, you could feel it, and even with that we lose the game.

“Of course it’s not the perfect atmosphere. But you could see they were tired, they were nervous, and come on, they keep going and keep fighting to win. They had more desire than us. That is not acceptable, and it’s very sad to lose today.”

Man Utd’s remaining fixtures

April 16 – Norwich (h)

April 19 – Liverpool (a), live on Sky Sports

April 23 – Arsenal (a)

May 2 – Brentford (h), live on Sky Sports

May 7 – Brighton (a), live on Sky Sports

May 15 – Chelsea (h), live on Sky Sports *

May 22 – Crystal Palace (a)

*Subject to change due to FA Cup final

Leave a Comment